Monday, September 27, 2010

Life Without Limits


My half-marathon is coming up on October 30th. I have been working really hard to train for this race....have overcome some obstacles (believe me you do not want to know details!).... but now I have a big obstacle that I am really struggling with. I have hip bursitis. Basically the bursa (fluid filled sac) is inflamed and is causing me a lot of discomfort! It started about a week and a half ago when I was doing a short run. It just kinda felt like I had a catch in my hip. Then a couple of days later (last weekend) I did a 10 mile run. It did not hurt at all during the run but after I cooled down and rested it was horrible! I could barely put any pressure on my left leg. The next morning I went bto the chiropractor. He explained to me the problem...stretched me out real good...showed me some stretches... told me to ice it....told me to rest it and he would see me in a couple of days. I did all these things and it started to improve. I went back thursday and had same treatment and he said to do a short run this weekend and then come back Monday. So, last night I ran 5 miles. Around mile 4 it started hurting pretty bad. After the run I experienced the same thing-could barely put weight on it. This morning I went back to the chiro. So, here is the deal. I have to make a choice. I can continue to rest it for a couple of weeks (which will put me WAY behind my training schedule-I only have 5 weeks before race) OR I can just push through the pain and just continue to ice and stretch.
It is just so frusturating to have such a passion for something and work so hard and then something like this happen! Poo on my old worn out body!

7 comments:

Kira Jay said...

That stinks! I'm sorry! I hope your injury heals quickly and you are able to decide what you will do!

Ashley said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. Let us know what you decide to do, but put your health first.

tracyp said...

Don't push it! You'll end up compensating on the other side and potentially injure more then just the burst in your hip. As much as it stinks to stop and get behind. You may be better off not doing this.marathon and starting slowly returning to running after you take your time off.

Anonymous said...

I def. think it is better to err on the side of caution and not push it. You could end up injuring yourself even more!! Bless your heart ... you have good intentions and it will all problem work out. Don't fret!!!

Dawn O.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a decision! I agee with most people that you shouldn't push it but you should be way proud of yourself!
Valoree

Leah said...

You could try getting a massage once a week. If I were there I would totally rub it for you! A 30 min one on your hips and back probably would help. I can give you a name of a good therapist there that I went to school with. She is really good. She even massages the football team! Let me know if you want her number.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so sorry. That is not easy to decide....but your health is so important! Well, you know that. Hugs and kisses Katrin