Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sydney Kate's first day of preschool

Okay, for some reason this darn blog is not letting me post pictures but I still wanted to go ahead and write about Sydney Kate's first day of preschool. So, first of all Sydney has decided that she now wants to be called Sydney Kate. That is what she wanted monogrammed on her lunch box and that is what she wants Ms. Barbara and Ms. Benita to call her. She has always called herself that when someone asks her name, but I do not usually call her that. So, I will try!
Sydney Kate has been kinda back and forth about preschool . She was very excited when we went and registered her several months ago and even more excited when we picked out her lunch box. Several weeks before she started getting nervous and didn't want to go. She even cried when Ms. Nikki from the gym asked her about it. So, ofcourse I am having second thoughts. Monday night we had open house and that totally changed her for the better. She has been excited ever since.
Friday morning comes around and Maw Maw (my neighbor from our old house) comes over to keep John Evan. Sydney Kate and I get to school and we are still in the car. I suggest that we say a prayer together. As I am praying, Sydney says "Momma don't forget to pray that I won't be nervous about leaving you." So, I'm like oh great-I have made too big of a deal out of this! We walk in and she is a little clingy to me. The teachers say good morning and show her where to put her lunch box. She just walks off and starts playing. I take a couple of pictures then I'm like what now? I didn't want to leave! But I did and as soon as I walked out of the classroom I lost it. I saw my friend, Katrin, out in the hall and she hugged me and I just boohooed! She came out to my car and we talked for a while. She definately cheered me up! But, I still cried all the way home and on and off all morning! Poor John Evan thought I was pitiful! I just could not believe that my best friend was old enough to go to preschool. I want her home with me. But, I know this will be good for her and me. Ofcourse i have all these doubts about am I am good mom? Does she love me? Is she going to miss me? Is she going to love her teachers more than me? After looking at the clock 100 times it was finally time to pick her up. She looked so cute and was smiling so big! She got in the car and said she had a great day and she loved it and she wants to go everyday! But mommy can only handle Mon. Wed, and Fri. from 8:30-12:00!
I hope she does just as well in the morning and I hope I do a little better ! Wish me luck and I will post pictures of her cute outfit and lunckbox soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet, Caroline. I know exactly what you're going through and it will get better. And, she will NEVER love her teachers even a fraction as much as she loves you. You are such a sweet, patient, awesome mommy. I think preschool is an extremely important step before "big school." I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave Anna at kindergarten if she hadn't gone to preschool last year. You're doing a good thing for her - and you! Love you! ~Tammy

heidi said...

oh little sydney kate. you brought me to tears. reagan starts his first day of preschool in two weeks and i am more than a little nervous. i don't think he has figured it out yet that i am leaving him there.
you are the best! THE BEST!!!

Ashley said...

Bless your heart. Did John Evan seem to miss Sidney Kate? I'm glad her first day went well, and I'm sure it'll get easier for you and you'll remember why you're sending her there in the first place.

Anonymous said...

So...giving into the double name thing? She'll always be Sydney or just "Syd" to me:) I'm glad she had a good time. She's so grown up! It will get easier for you :)
Valoree

househunter said...

What a touching blog. Sydney is precious! I'm glad she had such a fun first day!

Jen

Anonymous said...

you calling sydney kate your best friend just made me understand why parents get sad when they sent their kids to preschool or big school! i never thought about it in that way. this was a great blog and can't wait to see photos when the website is working better.
jenny

Adella and Dallas Skinner said...

Girl I got so teary eyed reading that. I remember when you were pregnant with Sydney. We would tear up the Reeses. haha I gained about 20lbs while you were pregnant. haha I can't beleive its that time for her to start school. It is a great thing you are doing and you ars such a good mother. She loves you so much and no teacher could ever compare to you. Now please remember all of this that I am saying to you so you can remind me of it when Taylor starts preschoool.

Jeni said...

oh sweet caroline. i do not know how you feel, but i already dread the day when my little ethan leaves me for the schoolhouse. i need to start preparing myself now, cause i am gonna be a mess, i just know it.

Caroline said...

Thank y'all so much for the sweet comments!