Friday, May 16, 2008

Oral Surgery

Let me start from the beginning and say that I think I take pretty good care of Sydney's teeth. Ofcourse, we are not perfect, but we brush them twice a day and use mouth wash and take her to the dentist twice a year. Well, the last time we went the dentist said he saw some decay and referred us to a pediatric dentist. At that appointment we found out that Sydney had 4 cavaties! YES I said 4. I was VERY upset and ofcourse started crying! We had the choice to either go in the office 3 seperate times and have a shot in her mouth each time to have them fixed or to go to the surgical center and have her put to sleep and do them all at once. We chose the latter. So, last Thursday we had it done. WE got up that morning and John Evan was very sick. The plan was to take him to a babysitter and for Chris to leave work early and meet me at the Surgical Center. Well, I could not leave JE with him being that sick so Chris came home and I had to take Sydney by myself. Not fun! They called us back right away and gave her some "silly juice". It made her very silly. She was so cute the way she was acting and laughing. Luckily, it made her calm enough that she was not upset when they wheeled her away from me. From what I understand once they got her back there they gave her some gas and then started her IV. They assured me that she went right to sleep and was a very good patient. I sat in the waiting room and was entertained by a guy's butt crack hanging out and someone else "blowing up" the bathroom with some stank! Anyway, about 45 minutes later they came and got me. It was the saddest thing walking into the recovery room and seeing her curled up in the corner of her bed with the eyes closed and crying. I grabbed her up as soon as I could and just held her. She was pitiful! She was in and out of it for about 15 minutes. I finally got her to sit up and talk and she said "I just don't feel like myself" Oh that just broke my heart! She sat up and ate a popsicle and then they took out her IV. Then she had to go to the bathroom. She was pretty calm by this point, but still pretty dizzy from all the medicine. She almost fell off the potty and thought it was hillarioius! They let us go home about 30 minutes later. She did great the rest of the day. She thinks she looks like a ROCK STAR with her silver teeth. She ended up with a baby root canal, 3 silver caps, and one eye tooth coated. Bless her heart! I'm so glad it is over I hope we never have to go through that again!




The morning of her surgery. I sent Chris to Wal-Mart the night before to pick her out a baby doll to take. Alexis came with a cow too!

Sydney and Alexis after she drank the silly juice. Can you tell?
even more silly!
She loved her little ride in the wheelchair!





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your poor baby! you're such a good mom to be strong through something like that.
jenny

Ashley said...

Poor thing. I'm surprised you didn't mention it Sunday. Glad it's over and done with. Where'd she get those bad teeth from?

Nicole said...

Poor thing, I would have cried the whole entire time. Good thing it is over and done with now. Who is your dentist? I need a good one to take the girls to.

mcamp said...

oh poor girl but she did look quite silly :P

sometimes no matter what we do we still get cavities. I think it's funny that you did all that and then some people don't brush their teeth at all and don't have a cavity in their life.

heidi said...

sign me up for the silly juice! sydney sounds like the ideal patient!

Adella and Dallas Skinner said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!! Poor thing!!!!!! That is so traumatic. I could not imagine! Glad that is over with.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I didn't realize that they do that! She does look very silly, that is for sure. :)

Meghan said...

I'm glad that everything went good. She doesn't seem to mind at all from the pictures. That silly juice is super for kids that will actually drink it. Joshua just cried when they gave it to him.